PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — The National Weather Service (NWS) has confirmed that the damage caused by Wednesday’s storm was the result of four tornadoes touching down.

The storm pummeled parts of Rhode Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts with torrential rainfall and damaging winds. It snapped, uprooted and twisted trees in opposite directions, while also toppling power lines and sending debris flying.

The NWS surveyed the hardest-hit neighborhoods Thursday and determined there was tornadic damage stretching from Killingly, Connecticut, to Attleboro, Massachusetts.

The first tornado touched down in Killingly, between Cranberry and Ledge roads, according to the NWS. It traveled nearly two miles to Shippee Schoolhouse Road in Foster, Rhode Island, before dissipating.

The second tornado touched down in the woods between Chopmist Hill and Bungy roads in Glocester, where the NWS said it knocked down at least 75 trees.

WATCH: Tornadic damage on Bungy Road (Story continues below.)

Bungy Road residents Donna and Kevin Goulden were stunned to see the amount of damage and spent most of Thursday trying to clear their yard.

“We could hear the trees [coming down] one by one,” Kevin recalled. “You could hear them crack.”

“It’s just going to take forever,” Donna said, adding that she’s overwhelmed by the work ahead of them.

The Scituate couple estimates it will cost more than $20,000 to completely clear their yard. They’re now waiting to see whether their insurance will cover it.

“We are just thankful that it didn’t hit the house,” Donna said of the tornado.

Damaged solar panels near North Central State Airport in Lincoln. (TJ Del Santo/WPRI-TV)

The NWS said the tornado dissipated in an open field after crossing Bungy Road and traveling 0.21 miles.

A third tornado formed as the storm approached the North Central State Airport in Lincoln. Though the airport itself wasn’t damaged, the NWS said the tornado did mangle a field of nearby solar panels.

The NWS said the tornado lifted briefly before touching down again and crossing Route 146 near Route 116. It traveled another 0.21 miles before dissipating completely.

Each of the three EF-1 tornadoes reached maximum wind speeds of 100 mph.

The NWS said an EF-0 tornado also touched down near Ellis Road in North Attleboro, though it was only on the ground for 0.07 miles. The EF-0 tornado reached maximum wind speeds of 75 mph.

(Story continues below.)

The tornadoes came less than a week after flash flooding from unusually heavy rainfall displaced dozens of Cranston residents and significantly damaged a Providence shopping plaza. The NWS described Monday’s 10 inches of rainfall over a six-hour span as a “200-year event.”

Meanwhile, Hurricane Lee is barreling toward New England and threatening to unleash another round of violent storms on the region this weekend.

The National Hurricane Center has issued a Tropical Storm Watch for much of the New England coast and a Storm Surge Watch for southeastern Massachusetts ahead of Lee’s arrival.

New England has had its fair share of wild weather in recent months, including five tornadoes that left behind trails of damage in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut. Nearly a month prior, a storm dumped up to two months’ worth of rain in a two-day span in Vermont, resulting in two deaths.

Pinpoint Weather 12 Links
Detailed 7-Day Forecast | Weather Now | Radar | Hour-by-Hour | Ocean, Bay & Beach | Solar Report | Pinpoint Traffic | Flight Tracker | Active Weather Alerts | Closings & Delays | Power Outages | Get the Weather App