As the NBA Finals gets underway, we’re counting down the best moments from previous years.
The series between the Denver Nuggets and Miami Heat tips off Thursday night.
10. Larry Bird in the 1981 finals
While the Celtics missed out this year, our #10 moment involves a Boston legend.
9. Kobe Bryant in the 2000 finals
Next up is 21-year-old Kobe Bryant’s performance against the Pacers.
8. Magic Johnson in the 1980 finals
With the Lakers’ Kareem Abdul-Jabbar sidelined with an injury, a rookie point guard stepped up in a big way in Game 6 against the 76ers.
7. Willis Reed in the 1970 finals
The Knicks’ star took the court for Game 7, despite suffering a serious injury two games prior, much to the surprise of the Lakers.
6. Ray Allen in the 2013 finals
The Spurs had another title within their grasp, but Ray Allen and the Heat had other plans.
5. Julius Erving in the 1980 finals
Our next moment brings us back to the 1980 finals between the Lakers and 76ers, with a show-stopping play by Dr. J.
4. Magic Johnson in the 1987 finals
The storied Celtics-Lakers rivalry reached its apex in the 1987 series.
3. Michael Jordan in the 1997 finals
In Game 5 of the 1997 series, the Bulls’ Michael Jordan battled more than just the Jazz.
2. LeBron James in the 2016 finals
The Cavaliers star stuffed the Warriors’ chances at a second straight title.
1. Michael Jordan in the 1998 finals
A clutch jumper from Michael Jordan sealed the Bulls’ sixth title in eight years in Game 6 against the Jazz.