GoProvidence.com brings us Executive Chef Mark Tyszkowski from 401 Gourmet Caterers showing us how to make their Spring Vegetable Risotto with Seared Scallops. It is a classic parmesan risotto with spring vegetables, topped with pan seared scallops.
- Arborio Rice – 2 cups
- Finely chopped shallots – 2 – 3 shallots
- White wine – ½ cup
- Vegetable stock – 6 cups
- Sugar snap peas – 1 cup
- Carrots (chopped) – 1 cup
- Asparagus ( cut into 1 inch pieces) – 1 cup
- Mushrooms (sliced) – 1 cup
- Butter – 8 tablespoons
- Grated parmesan cheese – 1 cup
- Mascarpone cheese – ¼ cup
- Scallops – 2 – 3 pounds
- Microgreens – optional
For the Risotto
- Boil vegetables (besides mushrooms) for 1 – 2 minutes then put in ice water until cold. Set aside.
- Bring vegetable stock to a simmer in sauce pot.
- In pan, sauté shallots and mushrooms in 3 tablespoons butter for 3 – 5 min or until tender then add the rice and stir for an additional 1 min.
- Deglaze pan with wine and stir.
- Add stock to rice mixture a few ladleful’s at a time stirring frequently. This should take about 15 min or until rice is just slightly undercooked.
- Turn off stove. Add vegetables, mascarpone cheese, parmesan cheese, and 1 tablespoon butter. Stir and set aside.
For the Scallops
- Remove any “tags” from the scallops and pat dry with paper towel then season with salt and pepper.
- Put 2 tablespoons butter in pan on medium high heat. Cook scallops on one side until they get golden brown ( 2 – 3 min) then turn over and sear on other side for an additional 1 – 2 min.
- Serve over risotto and finish with microgreens