Today we learned how to make Macarons with Chef Xavier Mauprivez from The French Confection.
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 2 1/4 cup Confectioner’s Sugar
For the Filling:
- 1 – ⅓ cup Granulated Sugar
- 5 Egg Whites
- ⅓ cup Water
- 1 lb. Butter, softened
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract, or any other flavor
- Whip egg whites, then gradually add the sugar until soft peak.
- Turn off mixer, then add the almond flour/sugar mixture (previously pulverized in the food processor).
- Mix by hand until smooth.
- Pipe quarter size cookies with a bag on a paper lined cookie pan. Tap the pan on the counter to get rid of air bubbles.
- Let dry for about 1/2 hour or until not sticky to your finger.
- Bake for 14 minutes at 300 degrees.
- Let cool.
For the Filling:
- Combine ⅓ cup of granulated sugar and egg whites in a mixing bowl. Set up with the whisk attachment.
- Combine the water and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan. Cook on medium high heat, until it reaches soft ball stage, which is 240 degrees.
- When the sugar syrup reaches 230 degrees, start to whisk the egg whites on medium speed. The egg whites should reach soft peaks at the same time the sugar reaches the desired temperature.
- Slowly stream the hot sugar into the whipping whites, still on medium speed. Continue whipping, on high speed now, until the meringue has reached room temperature, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the meringue is cooling, cut the butter into 1-inch cubes.
- Once the meringue is cool, gradually add butter on medium speed. Cream until smooth and light. Add vanilla extract.
About the Business:
The French Confection
72 East Main Road
Middletown, R.I. 02842
The Newport and Bristol County Convention & Visitors Bureau will now conduct business as “Discover Newport” with the tagline, “Nine Coastal Towns, One Big Experience.”
The information, advice and answers displayed in The Rhode Show section of WPRI.com are those of individual sponsors and not WPRI-TV/Nexstar Media Group, Inc. WPRI.com presents this content on behalf of each participating Rhode Show sponsor. Sponsored content is copyrighted to its respective sponsor unless otherwise indicated.