Executive Chef Jason Timothy of Troop joined us in The Rhode Show kitchen to show us how to make their Late Spring Chopped Salad with Chilled Szechuan Style Chicken.
- 4 boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 cup of cashews, roasted and chopped
- 4 bunches scallions (emulsion and garnish)
- Late spring vegetables, shaved and chopped
- 1 cup black vinegar
- 2” ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup neutral cooking oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro, picked
- The chicken can be cooked on the grill or in pan. If on the grill, pre-heat to medium high. If in a pan, turn on your oven to 375.
- Oil the chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper. Sear the chicken on both sides for about 3 minutes per each side, finish in the oven for 5 minutes, pull out and let cool.
- Slice/dice your vegetables, about a cup each. The vegetables can vary to the cook’s liking.
- Roast cashews until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes depending on your oven, this could also be done in pan, but pay very close attention. When cooled, chop in a blender or with a knife.
- The emulsion, roast 3 bunches of scallions in the oven or roast on the grill, until tender and slightly charred. Blend in a blender with black vinegar, salt and pepper, a touch of sugar. Emulsify with a neutral oil, (i.e., canola or grape seed) drizzle in the oil slowly to ensure a nice emulsion.
- When the chicken is cooled, julienne and toss with your vegetables, cashews and emulsion, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and serve. Garnish with scallions or your favorite herb. (I suggest cilantro or Thai basil, this’s completely optional, or sesame seeds)
- Sit back, open your beverage of choice, and enjoy, cheers!