The Cranston Greek Festival is returning this weekend! In celebration, Tricia Rougas stopped by to show us how to make a classic Greek butter cookie: Koulouria.
- 1 lb Butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups flour
- For topping: 2 eggs and 1/4 cup sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using the stand mixer, beat the butter well, (about 1 hour until fluffy).
3. Add in 2 cups of granulated sugar, continue to beat with the butter together until well mixed.
4. Add 3 eggs, 1 at a time while the mixture continues to beat on low speed.
5. Add 2 tsp of vanilla extract and ½ pint of heavy cream.
6. Mix on low speed until well blended and creamy.
7. In a separate large mixing bowl, add 5 cups of flour, 4 tsp of baking powder and ½ tsp of baking soda.
8. Remove the wet ingredients from the stand mixer and add to the dry ingredients.
9. Using your hand, mix well the wet and dry ingredients together.
10. Feel the consistency with your hand, the dough should be sticky but moldable enough to braid; add more flour if needed.
11. Brush each braided cookie well with egg and dab sesame seeds on top.
12. Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
13. Take the Koulouria out of the oven and set aside to cool.
14. Once cooled, place on a plate to serve.
Rhode Show Content Disclaimer: The information, advice, and answers displayed in The Rhode Show section of WPRI.com are those of individual sponsors and guests and not WPRI-TV/Nexstar Media Group, Inc. WPRI.com presents this content on behalf of each participating Rhode Show sponsor. Sponsored content is copyrighted to its respective sponsor unless otherwise indicated.