In the Rhode Show kitchen today, we welcome Executive Chef Kyle Stamps from Giusto in Newport making Johnny Cakes with Porcini, Pecorino and Mugolio.
Ingredients and Directions for the Johnny Cake
- Kenyons grist milk corn meal 1 cup
- Boiling water 2 cups
- Kosher salt 1 TBSP
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Whisk together corn meal, salt, and sugar,
- Once the water comes to a boil, pour over the corn meal and whisk to form a batter. It should be loose enough that it falls off a spoon.
- Preheat a cast iron pan to 350 degrees.
- Place silver dollar sized dollops of batter into the oiled pan.
- Cook for about six minutes a side, or until crispy.
Ingredients and Directions for Mushroom Conserva
- 1 lb porcini mushrooms, diced
- Enough olive oil to cover mushrooms
- 3 grams chili flake
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic
- 45 g sherry vinegar
- 10 g salt
- Bring oil, chili, thyme, garlic and rosemary up to 175 degrees.
- Add mushrooms, bring back up to 175 degrees, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and stir in salt and vinegar.
- Let steep for 45 minutes.
- Chill and store in an airtight container.
Ingredients and Directions for Porcini Butter
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 8 g porcini butter
- 5 g kosher salt
- Whip ingredients a kitchen aid until fully incorporated.
Rhode Show Content Disclaimer: The information, advice and answers displayed in The Rhode Show section of WPRI.com are those of individual sponsors and guests and not WPRI-TV/Nexstar Media Group, Inc. WPRI.com presents this content on behalf of each participating Rhode Show sponsor. Sponsored content is copyrighted to its respective sponsor unless otherwise indicated.