Chef Deborah Burka from the Hyatt Regency was in the Rhode Show kitchen this morning, showing us how to make Irish Potato Boxty Benedict.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 lbs. (3 to 4 large) Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled
- 3/4 cup Whole Milk
- Kosher Salt
- 13 large Eggs
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Grated Spanish Onion
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
- 12 oz. Smoked Salmon
- 4 oz. Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped Dill
- Chop half of the potatoes and place in a medium saucepan with salt and cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender (about 8-10 minutes).
- Start a second pot with water and the white vinegar. Bring this water to a boil and reduce it to a simmer. This will be for poaching the eggs.
- Grate the remaining potatoes with the large-holed side of a box grater. Toss in a bowl with ¼ tsp. salt and let stand in a fine mesh strainer to drain.
- Strain the boiled potatoes and return them to the saucepan. Add ¼ cup of milk and mash the potatoes.
- Squeeze any remaining liquid out of the grated potatoes and then add them to the mashed potatoes.
- Using a mixer, combine one egg, the flour, the remaining milk, and one teaspoon of salt. Add the onion and potato mixture and stir until combined.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan until it is quite hot. Drop the batter by the spoonful into the pan and spread to about ¼ inch thickness. Flip the pancakes once the first side is lightly browned. The pancakes can be kept warm in a 200 degree oven.
- Mix the sour cream with the fresh dill (reserve a little dill for garnish) and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- To poach the eggs, stir the poaching water. Drop the eggs in two at a time and let cook for 3-4 minutes depending on how soft you like the yolk. Remove from the water and repeat with remaining eggs.
- Place the smoked salmon on top of the pancakes (two per person), top with the eggs, garnish with the chopped dill, and serve with a side of the sour cream.
Hyatt Regency Newport
1 Goat Island
Newport, R.I. 02840
The information, advice and answers displayed in The Rhode Show section of WPRI.com are those of individual sponsors and not WPRI-TV/Nexstar Media Group, Inc. WPRI.com presents this content on behalf of each participating Rhode Show sponsor. Sponsored content is copyrighted to its respective sponsor unless otherwise indicated.