In the kitchen this morning, we welcomed Owner and Chef Sam Duling of the new restaurant opening soon Hunky Dory. He made their Hunky Dory Stuffed Clam Fritters.
- 6 oz – Linguiça Sausage (Small Dice)
- 1 cup – Celery (Fine Dice)
- .5 cup – Red Bell Pepper (Fine Dice)
- .5 cup – White Onion (Fine Dice)
- 20 oz – Fresh Quahogs (Chopped)
- .5 cup – Quahog Juice
- 2 teaspoon – Baking Powder
- 1.5 cup – All Purpose Flour
- .5 cup – Wondra Flour
- .5 cup – Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon – Crystal Hot Sauce
- 2 each – Whole Eggs (Whipped)
- .5 teaspoon – Salt
- 1 tablespoon – Fresh Parsley (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon – Fresh Scallion (Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon – Fresh Dill (Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon – Dried Espelette Pepper (Ground)
- In a heavy bottomed pot bring to medium-high heat.
- Add a splash of oil and lightly sauté Linguiça sausage until fat is beginning to render out.
- Add Onion, Celery & Peppers and continue to cook until veggies are sweated out but still have a bit of crunch.
- While that is cooking, measure out all of your dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Whisk to combine until all lumps are gone.
- Mix all of the wet ingredients except the clams.
- Combine your wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are loosely incorporated. Careful to not over-mix, this will activate too much Gluten within the flour causing to fritters to be very chewy.
- Once ingredients are combined, very carefully, fold in the sausage & veggie mix as well as the chopped clams.
- After combined, allow to sit and hydrate for about 20 minutes.
- While waiting for the batter to hydrate begin to heat your oil to about 350F using a candy thermometer.
- Once the oil is preheated, drop medium-small balls of batter into the oil and allow to cook until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes).
- Remove from oil and season immediately with salt.
- Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
Rhode Show Content Disclaimer: The information, advice and answers displayed in The Rhode Show section of WPRI.com are those of individual sponsors and guests and not WPRI-TV/Nexstar Media Group, Inc. WPRI.com presents this content on behalf of each participating Rhode Show sponsor. Sponsored content is copyrighted to its respective sponsor unless otherwise indicated.