Executive Chef Nicholas Violette of La Forge Casino Restaurant joined us in The Rhode Show kitchen to show us how to make their Boneless Beef Short Ribs and "Winter Burger".
Boneless Short Ribs Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
3/4 Cup Olive Oil
3 pounds Boneless Beef Short Ribs or Beef Chuck cut into 2”x 2” pieces
5 Large Carrots, peeled and rough-chopped (3/4”)
5 Large Parsnips, peeled and rough-chopped
1 Large Spanish Onion, peeled and rough-chopped
6 Stalks Celery, rough-chopped (optional)
2 Heaping Tablespoons Chopped Garlic
2 Tablespoons Fresh rough-chopped Thyme
2 Tablespoons Fresh rough-chopped Rosemary
2 Tablespoons Fresh rough-chopped Parsley
4 Ounces Tomato Paste
2 Ounces Beef Base
3 Cups Veal Stock or Demiglace (Available at Specialty food stores)
2 Cups Cabernet Sauvignon or Comparable Burgundy Wine
2 Cups Water
Salt & Pepper
*Option 2 (No Veal Stock or Demiglace available)
6 Tablespoons Butter
1.5 Cups All-purpose Flour
Additional 3 Cups Water
Additional 3 Ounces Beef Base
***Special Equipment: Cheesecloth & Butchers Twine
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Enclose chopped herbs in cheesecloth and secure with butchers twine in a satchel.
- Season beef generously with salt and pepper
- Combine butter and olive oil in large pot that is squat enough that you do not have to reach deep, heat on high until nearly smoking.
- Hard-sear beef on all sides, turning every 3-4 minutes, reserve in large casserole pan.
- Add all vegetables to pot, reduce heat to medium-high, cook until onions and garlic start to brown, add tomato paste and stir well, cook for 3-4 minutes or until you smell the tomato paste cooking (has a metallic/rusty aroma).
- Add red wine to deglaze, turn back up to high heat and reduce by half.
- Add veal stock, beef base, and water *or option 2 below.
- Put satchel of herbs in casserole, nestled between pieces of meat.
- Pour contents of pot over the meat and agitate gently to be sure liquid is under meat.
- Cover with aluminum foil, shiny-side down and cook in oven for 1 hour, remove from oven and turn the meat, again making sure there is liquid underneath.
- Replace foil and cook for another 1 1/2-2 hours, periodically checking doneness and turning, until fork-tender.
- Remove satchel and squeeze over casserole, stir.
- Serve immediately with your favorite accompaniment, we suggest mashed potatoes or gnocchi!
Option 2 (if veal/demiglace unavailable)
- Add the additional beef base and water into the pot with the wine.
- Melt butter in small pot over medium heat, add flour and mix, allowing the Rue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add rue to main pot and whisk well until thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon. Follow remaining directions.
WInter Burger" Ingredients:
- Brioche Hamburger Roll
- 8 ounce Burger Patty (we use a brisket/chuck blend)
- 2 tablespoons Cranberry-bacon jam (recipe follows)
- 1 piece of boneless short rib with sauce
- 2 slices Sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup arugula or small handful
- Salt & Pepper
Cranberry-bacon Jam Ingredients (Makes Approx. 2 cups):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound applewood-smoked bacon, preferably thick-cut, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 Cup Dried cranberries
- 1 half medium white onion, small chop
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup cranberry juice
- Salt & pepper
- Heat pan or medium pot on medium heat, add bacon and cook, stirring, until almost rendered, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add onions and continue cooking until translucent.
- Drain half of bacon fat and return to heat.
- Add brown sugar and dried cranberries, stirring until sugars begin to caramelize.
- Deglaze with cranberry juice, adding a little at a time until it has a slightly syrupy complexion, remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Toast Roll in oven.
- Cook burger to desired doneness and melt cheese on top.
- Put cranberry-bacon jam on bottom of bun, burger on top, then short rib, then arugula, then top bun.
- Take a bite and be amazed or serve to exceptional guests!
The Rhode Show Content Disclaimer
The information, advice and answers displayed in The Rhode Show section of WPRI.com are those of individual sponsors and guests and not WPRI-TV/Nexstar Media Group, Inc. WPRI.com presents this content on behalf of each participating Rhode Show sponsor. Sponsored content is copyrighted to its respective sponsor unless otherwise indicated.