Elizabeth Degaitas and Maria Boulaxis joined us in the kitchen to show us how to make one of the many treats featured at The Cranston Greek Festival, Baklava.
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup Honey
- 1 thin slice of lemon
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
Instructions: Boil all the above for 20 minutes and let cool before using.
Ingredients for Baklava:
- 1 lb. Phyllo Dough
- 1 lb. sweet butter
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 level teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 level teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Defrost frozen phyllo to room temperature.
- Mix together walnuts with the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and sugar.
- Melt butter (keep in pan to reheat if it cools).
- Butter the bottom and sides of the baking pans.
- First 8 sheets of phyllo are brushed with butter only.
- Next 6 sheets of phyllo are brushed with butter–then sprinkled with walnuts.
- Cover with remaining sheets of phyllo, buttering each one.
- Cut the baklava into serving pieces.
- Bake at 350F for about an hour or until golden brown on top.
- Take baklava out of the oven, pour cool syrup over, and set aside to cool. (DO NOT put in refrigerator to cool)
- Once cooled, cut fully and place in pastry cups to serve.
Rhode Show Content Disclaimer: The information, advice and answers displayed in The Rhode Show section of WPRI.com are those of individual sponsors and guests and not WPRI-TV/Nexstar Media Group, Inc. WPRI.com presents this content on behalf of each participating Rhode Show sponsor. Sponsored content is copyrighted to its respective sponsor unless otherwise indicated.