This morning in the kitchen we welcomed Jamestown FiSH. Executive Chef Matthew MacCartney and Chef de Cuisine, Alex Dill joined us to cook up a watermelon gazpacho.
They also spoke about their award to Wine Enthusiast’s Top 100 Wine Restaurants, which ranks restaurants nationally.
• 2 cups Watermelon (Seeded and Diced)
• 2 cups Tomato (roasted)
• ¾ cup Hazelnuts (use peeled hazelnuts – blanch them in water until soft)
• ¼ cup Hazelnuts (peeled, toasted and chopped)
• 4 ounces Feta Cheese (crumbled)
• 1 ounce Cider Vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Espelette Pepper (for garnish)
• Olive Oil
• Seed and large dice the watermelon
• Roast 4 med size tomatoes at 350 F with salt and olive oil for 30 min to concentrate flavor
• Combine the Watermelon, Tomato and Hazelnuts in a strong blender and blend until smooth
• Pass the mixture through a fine sieve to remove the seeds and skins
• Chill the soup over an ice bath or in the refrigerator if you have time
• To serve ladle the soup into a bowl and garnish with crumbled feta, chopped hazelnuts, a dusting of espelette pepper and fresh olive oil.