GoProvidence.com brings us Executive Chef Greg Coccio of Avvio Ristorante making Scallops with Autumn Squash & Potato Hash and Cranberry Chutney.
- 16 each u-10 Scallops
- 2 oz Blended Oil
- Salt and Pepper
For Autumn Hash:
- 2 each Sweet Potatoes
- 2 each Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 each Butternut Squash
- 1 each Delicata Squash
- 2 each Granny Smith Apples
- 2 oz Pea Greens
For Cranberry Chutney:
- 8 oz Dried Cranberries
- 4 oz Champagne Vinegar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 cup water
For Hard Cider Glaze:
- 8 oz Apple Cider
- 4 oz Rye Whiskey
- To begin, peel and clean butternut squash and delicata squash. Cut a small dice on both and place in a mixing bowl. Cut the potatoes and apples with skin on and place in the mixing bowl
- Season squash and potatoes with cooking oil and salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes or until tender. Once cooked reserve to the side
- For cranberry chutney place all ingredients in a sauce pan. Reduce for 20 minutes until the water has reduced 50% of its volume. Once reduced place in the blender to pulse. This can be cooled and stored in the refrigerator.
- For hard cider glaze add rye whiskey and apple cider into a sauce pan. Reduce 80 % on low. Be careful not to ignite the whiskey on a gas cook top.
To Prepare the Entrée:
- Heat a sauté pan on the range to high with blended oil. While the pan is heating, season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Once the pan is hot, turn to medium high heat. Sear the scallops until golden brown on both sides, deglaze with the hard cider glaze.
- In a separate sauté pan heat with oil. Once pan is hot, add the autumn hash and season with salt and pepper. Once the squash is hot turn the heat off and add the pea greens on top.
- For the plating take a table spoons worth of cranberry chutney and drag it with the back of a spoon down the plate
- Place the autumn squash on top of the cranberry chutney
- Finishing by placing 4 scallops on top of the autumn hash