Discover Newport brought us Chef Terence Feury of The Grill at 41 North to show us how to make their Oyster stew with leeks and fine herbs.
- 24 each RI oysters preferably large
- 2 leeks, white part only thoroughly rinsed
- 2 ribs celery
- .5 lbs. butter
- 4 oz Chardonnay
- 4 oz heavy cream
- 1 T each minced chive, parsley, tarragon, chervil, dill (optional)
- Salt and white pepper
- Crusty bread to serve with
- Shuck oysters and drain reserving liquid.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat melt butter.
- Thinly slice the leeks and dice the celery.
- Gently sweat the celery and leeks in the butter for 3-5 minutes, add the wine and simmer, then add the reserved oyster liquor and bring to a simmer.
- Skim any foam that rises to the top and add cream and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile carefully mince the herbs separately and combine.
- Just before serving, add the oysters and cook until the edges just begin to curl then add the herbs and immediately ladle in to serving bowls.
- Serve with warm crusty bread on the side.