In the kitchen, Discover Newport brings us Chef Randy Dustin from Firehouse Inn making Eggs Caprice with Prosciutto and Heirloom Tomatoes.
- Focaccia bread or English muffins (good for toasting)
- Fresh mozzarella
- Fresh heirloom tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Prosciutto ham
- Romano or parmesan cheese
- Fingerling potatoes for home fries
- Grill Mate’s garlic and vegetable seasoning
1. Dice potatoes into approximately 1-inch pieces.
2. Heat water in a pot until boiling.
3. Add potatoes and cook until al-dente.
4. Drain potatoes.
5. Heat a skillet and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium high heat until a drop of water dances. Add potatoes. They should sizzle when they hit the pan. Cook until lightly brown, about 6-8 minutes, turning a couple of times.
6. Turn off heat and add half a stick of real butter. Toss with 1 tablespoon of garlic and vegetable seasoning. Be sure to turn off the heat or the garlic in the seasoning will burn and become bitter.
1. Pour approximately 1” of vegetable oil in a small skillet and heat until 350-degrees.
2. Fry prosciutto ham until crispy. Remove from pan and set on paper towels. Set aside.
Eggs & Assembly
1. Toast 2 slices of bread or English muffin and butter lightly. Set aside.
2. Slice tomatoes into ¼” slices. Set aside.
3. Slice fresh mozzarella into ¼” slices. Set aside.
4. Gather basil leaves. Set aside.
5. Stack 1 slice of tomato, 1 slice of mozzarella, 1 basil leaf and 1 piece of fried prosciutto on the on each half of the English muffin – make sure your platform is flat or the eggs will slide off.
6. Bring a pot of water to a light boil. Gently drop 2 eggs into lightly boiling water and cook for 2.5 to 3 minutes until one centimeter of the white around the yolk is still jiggly. The egg will finish cooking outside the water. This way your yolk is runny and not overcooked. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels.
7. Gently set 1 poached egg on top of each English muffin stack. Grate parmesan cheese over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper and smoked paprika.
8. Serve with home fries and a fruit garnish.