Go Providence has brought us Chef James English of KG Kitchen with his recipe for Breakfast Veggie Bowl. It's a hearty, healthy, and vegetarian breakfast dish of sautéed vegetables, quinoa, and poached eggs with toast.
INGREDIENTS: (Please list exact quantities needed of ingredients)
2 Large Idaho Potatoes
2 Tablespoon Sweet Paprika
2 Tablespoon Dry Italian herb blend
2 Yellow Squash
8 Crimini Mushrooms
4 Leaves Kale
1 Hand full Baby Spinach
1 pint Grape Tomatoes
1 cup Quinoa
1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Sherry Vinegar
4 slices Wheat Bread
As needed Kosher salt
As needed Black pepper
As needed Water
1. Start by preheating your oven to 425F. Fill a deep 2-quart sauce pan with water up to 1 inch from the top. Add 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt to the water
2. Cut the Idaho potatoes into ½ inch cubes. Put them into a pot and cover with cold water. Add 2 tablespoons of salt to the water. Put over a high flame and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes for 3 minutes, then drain.
3. Once the potatoes are on, cook the quinoa. Put the quinoa into a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cool water. Put the quinoa into a pot and add 1 ¾ of a cup of water, and a teaspoon of salt in a pot. Once the pot comes to a boil, reduce it to a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer the quinoa for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it rest for 5 more minutes. Fluff with a fork.
4. While you are cooking your potatoes and quinoa, you can prep the rest of the vegetables. Slice the crimini mushrooms into thin slices (you can buy them pre-sliced at the market), put aside. Cut the grape tomatoes in half, put aside. Cut the yellow squash and zucchini into ¼ inch cubes, these can be mixed together and set aside. Wash the kale, then slice into thin ribbons and set aside.
5. Next take the boiled potatoes and coat liberally with canola oil. Season them with a tablespoon of salt, a teaspoon of black pepper, 1 tablespoon of paprika, and one tablespoon of the dry Italian herb blend.
6. Place the seasoned potatoes on a sheet pan and into the preheated oven. Roast the potatoes for 20 minutes, turning them half way through.
7. While the potatoes are roasting you can begin sautéing the vegetables. Put a large sauté pan over high heat and add 3 tablespoons of canola oil. When the pan is hot, add the sliced crimini mushrooms. Cook them for about 5-7 minutes, shaking them every so often to brown them on both sides. Once the mushrooms are browned, add the yellow squash and zucchini. Continue cooking over high heat for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan every couple of minutes to brown the squash and zucchini. When the squashes and mushrooms have a nice caramelized color, turn off the heat. Add the grape tomatoes and quinoa to the pan and mix them in.
8. After the potatoes are done roasting, you can start poaching your eggs. Adjust the heat to get the poaching water to a soft boil. Crack your eggs into small shallow bowls or ramekins. Use a spoon to stir the water, creating a gentle whirlpool. Carefully drop the eggs into the center of the whirlpool one at a time, in batches of 4. Gently poach eggs for 5 minutes, do not let the pot boil. Use a slotted spoon the remove the eggs from the water. Repeat with the other 4 eggs.
9. Toast the bread.
10. Finish cooking the vegetables by returning the pan to a high heat. Toss in the kale and spinach. Add the sherry vinegar and toss the vegetables to lightly wilt the greens. Remove from heat.
11. To plate, put a small pile of home fries in the center of a bowl. Place some sauteed vegetables on top of the home fries. Finally place 2 poached eggs on top of the vegetables, cut the toast into points and place on the side, and serve.
The Rhode Show Content Disclaimer
The information, advice and answers displayed in The Rhode Show section of WPRI.com are those of individual sponsors and guests and not WPRI-TV/Nexstar Media Group, Inc. WPRI.com presents this content on behalf of each participating Rhode Show sponsor. Sponsored content is copyrighted to its respective sponsor unless otherwise indicated.
Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Weather Now: Improving Easter Sunday Afternoon, Rain Monday PM
- Family displaced after house fire in Dartmouth
- Girl, 4, hospitalized after being found unresponsive in pool
- Train hits truck in West Bridgewater, injuring 3