GoProvidence.com brings us Chef David Frida from CAV Restaurant making their Black Cherry Srirarcha Duck Breast. It consists of Seared Duck Breast, Black Cherry Sriracha Pan Sauce and Manchego Polenta Cake.
- 4-7oz Duck Breasts
- 1 Shallot (Brunoised)
- 4 oz Chicken Stock
- 4 oz Black Cherry Preserves (St Dalfour)
- Sriracha (to Taste)
- 1 Tbl Butter
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- ½ c Polenta
- 2 c Water
- ½ c Heavy Cream
- ¾ c Manchego Cheese (Grated)
- Kosher Salt
- Ground White Pepper
- Non Stick Pan Spray
For the Polenta
- Bring water to a boil in a heavy deep sauce pan.
- Wire whisk in polenta in a slow steady stream until smooth.
- Lower heat to low medium. Be careful, it may splatter as it cooks.
- Cook for 18 minutes whisking frequently. Add heavy cream. Cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in cheese. Taste. Add salt and white pepper.
- Pour into a baking pan lined with parchment paper and pan spray. Spread evenly.
- Should be 2” thick. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Turn out onto a cutting board and remove paper. Cut into choice of shapes.
- Heat a nonstick pan with pan spray to medium high heat. Sear polenta until golden brown, then turn over.
- Place in a 425 degree oven for 5 minutes.
For the Duck Breast
- Remove any silver skin from the flesh side.
- Cut a shallow criss cross pattern on the skin side.
- Heat a saute pan that will just fit the breasts to high heat.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Place breasts skin side down. They will render fat.
- Lower heat to medium.
- Lift occasional checking to cook until skin is nicely browned. About 5-8 minutes.
- Turn and cook flesh side for 2 minutes.
- Remove to oven proof pan.
- Pour off all but 1 tbl of fat.
- Add shallots to breast cooking pan over medium heat to sweat.
- Add chicken stock, black cherry preserves and sriracha to taste.
- Crush any pieces of cherry with a fork.
- Reduce until nappant.
- Whisk in butter.
- Taste and season if needed.