Wednesday, singer Billy Gilman took a break from the stage to share a favorite recipe with us. He is in the Rhode Show kitchen making Avocado Arugula Pesto with Grilled Shrimp.
- 1 pound linguine pasta
- 2 Medium avocados, halved, peeled, and seeded 9 about 12 ounces total)
- 3 cups baby arugula leaves (3 ounces)
- 1 packed cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 large limes)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan (4 ounces)
- 2 cups good extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for Shrimp
- 1 pound of raw shrimp (whatever kind and however prepared)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon basil finely chopped (you can use dry)
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch salt
- Pinch of pepper
- (marinate, best overnight. A few hours will do the trick too)
- Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh from the avocado and place in a food processor. Add the arugula, basil, lime juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- In a large pot, boil pasta according to package. Always suggested to cook Al Dente. Drain pasta but reserve a cup of starchy cooked pasta water.
- Pour the pesto over the pasta and toss together. Add the cheese and toss together until coated, adding the pasta water, as needed, to loosen the sauce.
- Take shrimp out of marinade. On medium high, heat a grill pan and cook shrimp for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Garnish pasta dish with shrimp.