Executive Chef Tim Kelly of Chapel Grille joined us in The Rhode Show kitchen to show us how to make their Pan Seared New Bedford Sea Scallops with Asparagus.
- 20 extra-large (U-10) Dry sea scallops (Note: This will be about 2lbs)
- 2 limes
- 1 lemon
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter (cut into 1 tablespoon bits)
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil (for searing)
- Kosher salt
- Ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper (often called butcher pepper)
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 bunch asparagus
To blanch the asparagus:
- Bring 3 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil in the larger sauce pan. Have a bowl of ice water ready to shock the asparagus.
- Cut or “snap” the asparagus, then drop in the boiling water.
- Cook for 2 minutes then remove and immediately shock in the ice water to stop the cooking process. (this blanching technique works with many vegetables and helps lock in flavor and nutrients)
- Drain and reserve the asparagus to be sautéed later.
For the lime butter sauce:
- In the small sauce pan: Cut the limes top to bottom and squeeze as much juice as you can get into the small sauce pan. Add 1 tablespoon of water.
- Over medium heat, bring the liquid to a simmer.
- Vigorously whisk in the butter 1 tablespoon at a time, being sure to not add the next bit of butter until the previous one is totally emulsified in. The end result should be a smooth creamy looking sauce.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and pour into a small container, season with salt and white pepper and keep warm.
To finish the dish:
- Place one of the sauté pans over medium heat and the other one over high heat.
- Add the olive oil to the medium one and the vegetable oil to the other.
- Add the asparagus to the olive oil pan with a pinch of salt and begin sautéing.
- Lightly season the sea scallops with kosher salt and pat dry on paper towels.(super important for getting a good sear)
- When the vegetable oil gets to the point that it is just about to smoke, gently place the scallops in the pan. Sear on each side about 1 minute. Remove and reserve.
- In the pan with the asparagus: sprinkle in the cracked pepper, using the microplane grate some lemon zest on the asparagus, turn off the heat.
- Arrange the asparagus onto the plates then the scallops.
- Spoon some of the lime butter sauce onto the scallops and squeeze some lemon juice onto the asparagus. Garnish with the chopped parsley.
Rhode Show Content Disclaimer: The information, advice and answers displayed in The Rhode Show section of WPRI.com are those of individual sponsors and guests and not WPRI-TV/Nexstar Media Group, Inc. WPRI.com presents this content on behalf of each participating Rhode Show sponsor. Sponsored content is copyrighted to its respective sponsor unless otherwise indicated.