EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — WPRI 12, FOX Providence, The CW Providence and myRITV is hosting a ‘Beach Break’ sun risk and screening event with information and complimentary sun screening and other awareness activities August 4 at Narragansett Town Beach from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
The event will welcome beachgoers to learn about sun safety and proper sunscreen application from the staff of dermatology professionals. Additionally, there will be a meet and greet with the Animal Rescue Team from Mystic Aquarium as well as Michaela Johnson and Will Gilbert from The Rhode Show. There will also be free give-a-ways and fun activities.
Dermatologists from Dermatology Professionals Inc. will be on hand to conduct free skin screenings and provide an official AAD summary report for anyone to take to a dermatologist for follow up.
PHOTOS from Beach Break 2018 – View Gallery »
WPRI 12, FOX Providence, The CW Providence and myRITV along with Dermatology Professionals Inc. and Mystic Aquarium are proud sponsors of this community and awareness event.
About Beach Break:
- When: Saturday, August 4 – 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Where: Narragansett Town Beach South Pavilion
- What: Sun Safety & Fun!
Statistics & Awareness:
• More than 5.4 million cases of nonmelanoma skin cancer were treated in over 3.3 million people in the U.S. in 2012, the most recent year new statistics were available
• More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year in the U.S. than all other cancers combined
• One in five Americans will develop skin cancer by the age of 70.3
• Actinic keratosis is the most common precancer; it affects more than 58 million Americans