(WPRI) — Parking bans and closings are rolling in as a long-lasting storm brings a messy wintry mix Sunday into Tuesday morning.
Pinpoint Closing Network: School closings, parking bans and more »
As of 8:40 p.m. three Massachusetts schools bordering northern Rhode Island had made the call to either delay or cancel school Monday.
Students of Bellingham Public Schools and the Blackstone Millville Regional School District will have a two hour delay. Meanwhile, Uxbridge Public Schools opted to remain closed Monday.
The timing comes as many post-Thanksgiving travelers attempt to get home both by road and air.
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker urged people to get off the roads before the heaviest snow arrived. “Drivers should use caution tonight and avoid traveling in areas of heavy snowfall, and we ask that members of the public also plan ahead and anticipate their commutes will be impacted on Monday and Tuesday by this winter weather,” he said a news conference Sunday night.
In Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts snow accumulations will be lower, but travelers should still practice safety.
Eyewitness News has several resources to make sure your long holiday weekend is as safe and smooth as possible while you’re traveling.
- WPRI.com Flight Tracker »
- PINPOINT TRAFFIC: Live Interactive Pinpoint Traffic Map & Updates »
- Pinpoint Closing Network: Closings and Delays & parking bans
- Keep the line moving: TSA offers Thanksgiving travel tips »
Logan International Airport in Boston, Newark International Airport, La Guardia Airport, and Teterboro Airport were all reporting delays Sunday, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.
Travel will be slow everywhere across the northeast, but especially in central and northern New England where some areas will remain snowy into a good part of the overnight hours. Please use caution if you are traveling as slick and snow covered roads are possible.
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Millions of people – whether by plane, train or automobile – will be traveling the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Here are some resources to help you get home safely and on time:
- Real-Time Updates: Pinpoint Traffic »
- Before You Fill Up: WPRI.com Gas Tracker »
- Check Flight Status: WPRI.com Flight Tracker »
- Other Modes: Amtrak|Peter Pan Bus|Greyhound »
- Home for the Holidays Headlines
- AAA: Travelers should expect delays as Thanksgiving approaches
- Fire marshal warns of potential Thanksgiving cooking dangers
- Home for the Holidays Contest: Get your mortgage or rent paid for 2020!
- CBS announces holiday special schedule
- Decorating for the holidays earlier could make you happier, study claims
- How to set a budget for holiday shopping
- Starbucks, Dunkin’ roll out new holiday cups