BOSTON (WPRI) — A Providence man accused of kidnapping a Boston woman who was later found dead will soon be returned to Massachusetts to face charges, according to the office of U.S. Attorney for District of Massachusetts Andrew Lelling.
In federal court Monday afternoon, Louis Coleman III waived his right to have detention and preliminary hearings in the district of Delaware.
Coleman, 32, was arrested in Delaware on Thursday in the kidnapping of Jassy Correia, 23, who had been missing since the previous weekend. Police confirmed they found a woman’s body in his trunk and Correia’s family members said it was her body.
Lelling on Sunday said the body was bound with duct tape, bloodied, bruised, and covered with what appeared to be baking soda.
Correia, who had a young daughter, was last seen leaving a Boston nightclub early on the morning of Feb. 24. Surveillance footage from later that morning allegedly showed Coleman carrying a body with long hair and clothing that matched Correia’s into his condominium complex in Providence. She was never seen exiting the building but Coleman had left carrying two suitcases.
Coleman was charged in federal court with a single count of kidnapping, resulting in death. The charge could result in the death penalty or life in prison, should Coleman be convicted.
He was also charged as a fugitive from justice in Delaware, and court records show he’ll be charged in Rhode Island with kidnapping, refusal to report a death with intent to conceal, and mutilation of a dead body.
Lelling’s office said the timeline for Coleman’s return to Massachusetts has yet to be determined.