(WPRI) — Florida’s state attorney’s office confirmed it issued a summons, officially charging New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft with two counts of soliciting prostitution.
Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg said Monday Kraft is one of 25 men his office is charging in connection to a Florida day spa bust.
The charges against Kraft are first-degree misdemeanor charges and carry up to one year in prison, a $5,000 fine and 100 hours of community service, Aronberg said.
Police in Jupiter, Florida claim Kraft was caught on camera soliciting prostitution and receiving related services at Orchids of Asia Day Spa twice within the last month.
According to the summons, released by the state attorney Monday, Kraft visited the spa on Saturday, January 19 and the morning of Sunday, January 20 – which is the day the Patriots played in the AFC Championship in Kansas City.
On both days, according to the summons, Kraft entered the spa, paid cash to a woman at the front desk, and was then taken into a massage room. The summons said both times, a woman performed sexual acts on Kraft, after which he gave her cash and left.
The summons said Kraft was positively identified by Massachusetts driver’s license.
Because prosecutors determined Kraft has a residence in Florida, they mailed him a summons. Out of state defendants would be issued a low-level warrant to appear.
- RELATED: Fans have mixed reaction about Kraft allegations »
- RELATED: Legal expert says NFL should ‘act swiftly’ in Kraft case »
While Kraft has “categorically denied” the allegations, the NFL said Monday it would take “appropriate action” against the Patriots’ owner.
“We are seeking a full understanding of the facts, while ensuring that we do not interfere with an ongoing law enforcement investigation. We will take appropriate action as warranted based on the facts.
“The NFL’s personal conduct policy requires owners, players and other employees to “refrain from ‘conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in’ the NFL.”
Prosecutors say nine of the men are from New England; one is from Rhode Island.
The Rhode Island man involved has been identified as 57-year-old Henry Heinz of Block Island.
According to The Boston Globe, Heinz told authorities he did not engage in any illicit behavior.
Police said the case against the 25 men is the result of an eight-month investigation.