Substation fire leads to evacuation of Warwick mall, cinema


WARWICK, R.I. (WPRI) – A reported fire at the National Grid substation behind the Warwick Mall Showcase Cinemas forced the evacuation of both buildings Saturday night.

The fire broke out just before 7:30 p.m. and caused power outages in the area.

Viewers sending in photos and video via ReportIt say the smell of smoke coming from inside one of the theaters caused the cinema to be evacuated.

Those same patrons told Eyewitness News the cinema handed out re-admit tickets for patrons to come back to the cinema at no additional cost.

In addition to the Showcase Cinemas being evacuated, the Warwick Mall and all of its patrons and employees were also evacuated for the remainder of the evening following a blown transformer there.

A heavy presence of Warwick Fire Department officials responded to both the substation, and the Warwick Mall and cinemas.

By 8:40 p.m. power was restored to the area.

Eyewitness News observed officials with National Grid on scene at the substation around the same time power was restored.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Download Mobile Apps from WPRI 12
DOWNLOAD APPS NOW: Apple App Store | Google Play Store

Don't Miss

Viewer Pa on

Community Events & Happenings

More Community

The Border Report Tour

More Border Report Tour
Live Cams on