WARWICK, R.I. (WPRI) — The state police mobile crime lab was back at a home on Shannon Drive Wednesday morning in Warwick.
Only Eyewitness News cameras were on scene as police investigated at the home. Their work appeared to be focused on the backyard.
This is the same location that was previously searched during the Kerry Mello murder investigation.
Rhode Island State Police Maj. Philben told Eyewitness News the search was based on new developments in the case, but added investigators are no searching for any other human remains.
Mello disappeared last summer. Prosecutors said he was lured to the Shannon Drive home and his body dismembered. Mello’s remains eventually washed up on shore in Little Compton and Westport.
Four people were indicted in connection with the case, including Albert Barriera, 61, who lives at the Shannon Drive home. His son Jamie Barriera, 35, Francisco Concepcion, 36, and Graig Bustillo, 39, were also charged in the case.
Bustillo last week pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit murder in Mello’s death.