CHARLESTOWN, R.I. (WPRI) – The sit-in at the Narragansett Tribal Headquarters finished its sixth day on Sunday night.
Tribal members told Eyewitness News they were still in negotiations Sunday evening and were not certain when those negotiations would end.
On Christmas night, tribal members continued their occupation of the building and reiterated the legitimacy of the tribal elections that they say removed Chief Sachem Matthew Thomas from power earlier this year.
Friday, heat and electricity to the building were terminated, which was blamed on the pro-Thomas faction according to those tribal members occupying the building. Donated generators were providing power Sunday night, but the only light seen inside the building was coming from the lights on a Christmas tree in the main room.
- Target 12: Disputed tribal council members take over administration building »
- More: Tension Grows over control of Narragansett Indian headquarters »
The tribal members opposed to Thomas have called on Governor Raimondo to intervene in the dispute, but a spokesperson for the Governor said Thursday that the state has no jurisdiction in the disputed elections, echoing statements made by a federal judge after both sides applied for temporary restraining orders.