SHIRLEY, Mass. (WPRI) — A Massachusetts man who’s served more than 40 years in prison for raping two boys was arrested again Wednesday morning.
According to Massachusetts Department of Corrections spokesman Jason Dobson, Wayne Chapman was taken into custody for “indecent exposure, lewd, wanton, and lascivious acts and open and gross lewdness and lascivious behavior.”
Chapman, 70, pleaded not guilty to the charges Wednesday and was ordered held without bail.
Following Chapman’s arraignment, his attorney called the new charges “convenient and suspicious.”
Prison officials said the incidents occurred June 3 and 4 at the Shirley, Mass. prison where Chapman has been serving time. According to court records obtained by Eyewitness News, a nurse reported feeling violated as Chapman performed a sexual act on himself in front of her.
Chapman has been behind bars for 41 years since being convicted in 1977. Since 2004, he has been civilly committed, having completed his original sentence.
Earlier this month, a Supreme Court Judge ruled in favor of releasing Chapman after it he was determined to be no longer “sexually dangerous.”
Chapman’s victims and officials who worked on the case have been pushing back against the ruling, saying he’s still a danger to society.
“I was given a life sentence that day. I think he should be given the same,” one victim said during a news conference Wednesday.
“People like Wayne Chapman should never be able to get out of jail,” a second victim said. “They need to be incarcerated until they can no longer offend, and who knows when that is. Obviously, he can still offend.”
The victims said they still plan to appeal Chapman’s scheduled release, regardless of the new allegations.
“It just goes to show you, he ain’t cured of nothing,” former Providence Detective Al Mintz told Eyewitness News over the phone Wednesday. “He refused treatment and they’re going to let him out. He can’t wait to get out, he’s already acting up.”
Mintz was one of the detectives who questioned Chapman in the early 70s. He said Chapman used to live and work in Providence.
Chapman was also charged in Rhode Island in the early 70s. Court records show he pleaded no contest before being extradited to Massachusetts.
The documents revealed Chapman admitted to molesting as many as 100 boys.
“He’s going to hurt another kid,” Mintz added. “Another kid is too many. He’s hurt a lot of children. Why would we even consider letting him out?”
The Rhode Island attorney general’s office said it’s now going through Chapman’s case file.
Chapman’s next court appearance is scheduled for June 27 but his attorney told the judge that Chapman may not appear due to medical issues.
In the meantime, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker unveiled legislation in light of Chapman’s case in hopes of making it harder for someone with similar charges to be released from prison.