PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Two drivers have been temporarily pulled from Providence school bus routes, officials said Wednesday, after a mother claimed the drivers had been unsafe and unreliable.
Shelley Brown said one of the bus drivers dropped off her young daughters at the wrong stop Monday, forcing them to walk a quarter-mile home.
“My daughter is seven, so she should have never been let off the bus without an adult,” Brown said. “I never signed for my 11-year-old to get off the bus either.”
According to Brown, the other bus driver also missed her daughters’ stop the next day. When the girls spoke up, Brown said the driver snapped at them with foul language.
A spokesperson for Providence Public Schools said in a statement Wednesday afternoon that the bus company, First Student, had “temporarily removed both drivers from any Providence Public School bus runs.”
First Student spokesperson Chris Kemper said both drivers were experienced with strong driving records. Kemper said they did not have any record of the driver using foul language on the bus. He added, “if that did happen, it certainly isn’t something that we condone.”
Brown said she wanted both drivers re-trained on school protocol. When asked, Kemper said “that certainly is a possibility.”