PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — After officials said no criminal charges would be filed in the ongoing 38 Studios investigation, former Red Sox star Curt Schilling took to Twitter to give his opinion on the matter.
Complete Coverage:38 Studios
38 Studios, a video game company founded by Schilling, collapsed in 2012 after receiving a $75-million loan backed by Rhode Island taxpayers. A criminal investigation into the deal has been in progress since shortly after the company’s bankruptcy.
State Police Col. Steven O’Donnell and Attorney General Peter Kilmartin held a news conference at State Police Headquarters in Scituate Friday afternoon, where they said the investigation did not warrant any criminal charges because no laws were broken. While police said there was no criminal conduct, they did criticize the process that led to the failed 38 Studios deal in the first place.
“A bad deal doesn’t always equate to an indictment,” Col. O’Donnell said.
- Read more: No charges in 38 Studios criminal probe
Schilling tweeted his reaction to the fact that no charges will be filed, telling Eyewitness News Reporter Perry Russom he, “could have saved 10s of millions more by telling you that 5 years ago. Disgusting to see officers sent on a fake a** witch hunt.”
Kilmartin would not comment on Schilling’s tweet, but Col. O’Donnell said he respects his opinion.
“At the end of the day, we end up with this result. I respect anyone’s opinion, but you have trained investigators from prosecutors to law enforcement,” he said. “That’s what they do for a living. If it’s there, it’s there. If it’s not, it’s not.”
After the news conference, the Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity released a statement saying they are now calling on the governor to conduct an investigation.
But an hour after the announcement was made, Governor Gina Raimondo’s office released a statement saying she has no plans to do so – which is something that contradicts a promise she made on the campaign trail back in 2014.
Last year in an episode of WPRI 12’s Newsmakers, Raimondo said the combination of state police and House oversight hearings – which haven’t happened in months – would be enough, rescinding her offer for the additional investigation.