PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Several people, including a firefighter, were transported to the hospital after flames broke out at a Providence home Wednesday morning.
The two-alarm fire broke out around 10:30 a.m. at 34 Bradley Street.
Officials on scene said several residents were sent to the hospital for smoke inhalation and the firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion.
Several animals did not make it out alive, according to fire officials.
By the time crews got to the scene, the fire had already done extensive damage to the house. The scorching heat made it even more challenging.
Officials said the second heat wave of the season is taking its toll on local firefighters.
Battalion Chief Jeffrey Varone of the Providence Fire Department said, “If you’re not hydrating constantly, it can catch up with you, especially when you’re physically exerting yourself.”
Pat Birbuet, an eyewitness to the fire said, “I think people need to be careful in this hot weather, too, you know, check appliances.”
“Be careful with cigarette smoke and candles and things like that,” she added. “I don’t know what started that fire, but it’s a real big loss for that family.”
Four people are now displaced.More photos from the scene: