Officials believe Fall River apartment fire sparked by cigarette

News
Fall River fire_1549072415813.jpg.jpg

FALL RIVER, R.I. (WPRI) — Multiple units at a Fall River apartment complex were damaged by fire Friday night caused by what fire officials believe was a lit cigarette.

According to Fall River District Fire Chief Michael Clark, crews responded to The Mount apartments on Middle Street for reports of flames coming from a 4th floor attic apartment.

Clark said everyone inside the building was evacuated and no one was injured, however three cats died in the fire.

According to Clarke, they received reports that the woman who lived in the apartment had dropped the cigarette she was smoking. When it caught fire, she tried to put it out with a pot of water but failed.

Clark said several units and part of the hallway sustained fire, smoke and water damage.

The American Red Cross responded to the scene to help displaced residents. Its unclear how many residents are displaced at this time.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Providence

Download Mobile Apps from WPRI 12
DOWNLOAD APPS NOW: Apple App Store | Google Play Store
PINPOINT WEATHER // Quick Links:

Your Local Election HQ

Dan Yorke State of Mind: Dan's Daily Update

DYSOM 2/19/21: Richard Arenberg and Joseph Cammarano

More Dan Yorke State of Mind

Don't Miss

Viewer Pa on WPRI.com

LIVE CAMS on WPRI.com

More Live Cams

Community Events & Happenings

More Community