SMITHFIELD, R.I. (WPRI) — A Smithfield mother has died from carbon monoxide poisoning after she and her three children were exposed to the deadly gas last week, town fire officials confirmed on Monday.

Having been working in the garage, a man entered his Pleasant View Avenue home last Wednesday to find his wife and three children – ages 7, 9, and 11 – unconscious. He called 911 and emergency responders rushed the family to the hospital.

Kristen Latour passed away as a result of the poisoning, according to Smithfield Fire Chief Robert Seltzer.

At last check, the children have been improving with treatment.

Fire investigators said a CO buildup was caused by a blocked heating system flue – sending the poisonous gas back into the home.

Police revealed there were no working smoke or carbon monoxide detectors in the home, saying they were taken down and had the batteries removed.

In the wake of the tragedy, fire officials are urging everyone to make sure they have working carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help raise money for the family. Click here to donate »