WEST WARWICK, R.I. (WPRI) — Many came out to pay their respects to a West Warwick teenager who died after a car crash involving an alleged drunk driver.

Matthew Dennison, 17, died last week after spending a month in the hospital with critical injuries.

A long line of family, friends and members of the hockey community gathered in East Greenwich Thursday to say their final goodbyes to Dennison.

The funeral was held Friday morning at St. Gregory the Great Church in Warwick.

West Warwick High School live-streamed the funeral at the Thomas Lamb Memorial Field House for the large hockey community who knew and loved Dennison.

(Story continues below the video.)

The school also organized a “stick salute” for the funeral procession as it passed by the field house and ice rink.

High school hockey players from several communities lined the sidewalks outside of the rink and lifted their sticks into the air as the procession drove through.

“I think this sport is really special and everybody bands together,” Burrillville High School hockey player Cam DeSante said. “It’s very clear during something like this.”

(Story continues below the video.)

Dennison and Kevin MacDonald were driving to their team’s hockey rink in West Warwick last month when Alexander Krajewski hit their car on Ten Rod Road, according to police.

Dennison was the captain of the West Warwick/Exeter-West Greenwich High School hockey team alongside MacDonald.

The number 16, according to Dennison’s coach Justin Lake, will be retired to honor his memory.

The Rhode Island Coaches Association All-Star games will play in Dennison’s honor Friday night at Schneider Arena in Providence. All of the proceeds from the games will benefit the Dennison family.

MacDonald was also injured in the crash, but has since been released from the hospital and is recovering at home.

“I’m going to go back and play hockey and just be better for him as well, because I know he’d want me to,” MacDonald said. “I know he’d want everybody to be better than they were before.”

Krajewski was arraigned earlier this week on upgraded charges of driving under the influence of liquor or drugs resulting in death and driving to endanger resulting in death.

The 30-year-old, who’s a Newport firefighter, was released on bail and ordered not to drive.

Dennison’s family asks that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made in his honor to Mothers Against Drunk Driving.