Woman suffers serious burns in New Bedford apartment fire

SE Mass

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (WPRI) — An elderly woman was left seriously burned after her apartment in New Bedford caught fire Tuesday evening.

New Bedford District Fire Chief Gary Raposa tells Eyewitness News the woman, 84, had to be rescued from her third-floor apartment on Coffin Avenue.

Raposa said the woman was conscious and alert while she was being rescued, though she did suffer serious burns.

The woman allegedly told firefighters she had left some items on top of a space heater prior to the fire breaking out, Raposa said.

The fire caused damage throughout the entire building. Raposa said the other two apartments in the building were vacant and the woman was the only person living there at the time.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Providence

Download Mobile Apps from WPRI 12
DOWNLOAD APPS NOW: Apple App Store | Google Play Store
PINPOINT WEATHER // Quick Links:

12 INFORMA: INFORMACIÓN DE CORONAVIRUS EN ESPAÑOL

More 12 Informa

Don't Miss

Viewer Pa on WPRI.com

Community Events & Happenings

More Community

The Border Report Tour

More Border Report Tour
Live Cams on WPRI.com