DIGHTON, Mass. (WPRI) — Plans for a dangerousness hearing for the dogs who mauled a 14-year-old boy to death last week are still up in the air, according to town officials.
Last Thursday, Ryan Hazel of Rehoboth was killed while taking care of the dogs for the owner, who was in Boston at the time. It’s unclear why the dogs attacked Hazel.
At a Dighton Board of Selectmen hearing Monday night, board members discussed the potential for a dangerousness hearing. No decision was made, however, as the board is waiting for police to complete their investigation.
“If we do, we will have to determine what we will do with the dogs,” Board of Selectman Chair Kenneth Pacheco said.
The dogs are currently under quarantine with Rehoboth Animal Control in compliance with state law.
At this point, the homeowner, Scott Dunmore, is being cooperative with the investigation, according to Mallory Aronstein, Dighton’s town administrator.
“This leads us to believe that a dangerousness hearing may not occur, but we’re still waiting for word from investigators,” Aronstein said. “We’re waiting for some more information for us to make a better-educated determination about what to do to go forward.”
Pacheco said it’s been tough around town as everyone tries to come to grips with the unimaginable tragedy.
“I see it here in Town Hall, I see it here talking to residents in town,” Pacheco said. “The whole town is in mourning.”
A GoFundMe page was set up to help pay for Hazel’s funeral expenses. Donations have far surpassed the original goal of $5,000, with more than $37,000 raised since it was created on Friday.