Note: This story was updated after police clarified where the shots were fired.

MIDDLEBORO, Mass. (WPRI) — A Falmouth man suspected of firing several rounds from a revolver Friday morning in Middleboro is now in custody, and police are trying to figure out the reason behind it.

Middleboro police say Raymond Gibson, 55, fired four or five shots just after 9 a.m. on West Grove Street (Route 28), near the MassDOT public works facility.

No one was injured, according to police, but two vehicles were hit by the gunfire.

Police say Gibson ran into the woods nearby as officers responded to the scene, set up a perimeter and began searching for him. A shelter-in-place order was issued for area residents.

Around 11:30 a.m., Gibson poked his head up while lying on the ground near where the shots were fired, according to police. He was ordered to come out and arrested a short time later.

A .357 revolver was found on the ground and seized. Police say the firearm was registered in Gibson’s name and he had a license to carry it, which has been suspended pending a review.

Police are now investigating the motive for the shooting, saying it didn’t appear any individuals or groups were specifically targeted.

The shooting did not take place on MassDOT property, police noted.

Gibson is scheduled to be arraigned Friday on charges of discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building, discharging a firearm near a highway, disturbing the peace, and two counts of malicious destruction of a motor vehicle.

“We’re extremely thankful that no one was injured in this incident,” Middleboro Police Chief Joseph Perkins said in a statement. “I want to commend the tremendous response by our law enforcement partners and others who helped to quickly set up a perimeter and search that led to the apprehension of this dangerous individual. This was not an easy response given the heavy rain from the storm and it was great work by our officer who spotted the suspect in the woods, leading to his arrest.”