NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (WPRI) — New Bedford Mayor Jon Mitchell announced in a Facebook post Tuesday that he’s tested positive for the coronavirus.
Mitchell said he got tested on Monday after experiencing mild symptoms over the weekend.
His wife Ann and daughters have since tested negative, as have all members of his staff, according to the post.
The mayor added that he is unsure of where he was exposed to the virus, saying he’s observed social distancing and worn a mask everywhere he’s gone.
“This news serves as a reminder that with rates of COVID now at their highest ever across the Northeast, it doesn’t take much to catch the virus,” Mitchell said in the post.
The mayor said he will continue to work in isolation through next week.
Coronavirus: Latest Headlines
- Biden to deliver remarks as US is set to hit latest COVID-19 vaccine milestone
- Hitting latest vaccine milestone, Biden pushes shots for all
- ‘It’s frustrating’: Providence Schools superintendent discusses contract negotiations with union
- ‘We were treated like we were criminals’: Lincoln family upset after special needs daughter kicked off plane for not wearing mask
- States may soon drop outdoor mask mandates, medical experts say