NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (WPRI) — An investigation is underway after a fire broke out inside a trash transfer station in New Bedford Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters rushed to the Shawmut Avenue industrial building around 3:30 p.m. for reports of smoke billowing from the building.

New Bedford Fire Chief Scott Kruger said plastics ignited within the facility, creating toxic fumes and posing a hazard to firefighters.

Kruger described it as a “worst-case scenario,” which is why they struck a second alarm.

“There was a lot of heat … among other combustibles,” he explained.

The fire chief said several pieces of equipment were damaged, including an excavator and backhoe. The flames also caused the transfer station’s garage doors to collapse.

Everyone inside the building was able to escape safely. Kruger said one firefighter burned his hands, but was treated on scene and is expected to be OK.

It’s unclear at this time whether the transfer station is a total loss, but Kruger said they’re concerned about the structural condition of the building since “it was exposed to a lot of heat.”