Fire Marshal: Mansfield gas station explosion caused by windshield wiper fluid vapor

SE Mass

MANSFIELD, Mass. (WPRI) — Vapors from a 55-gallon drum of windshield wiper fluid caused the massive explosion and fire at a Mansfield gas station that sent an employee to the hospital with life-threatening burns earlier this week, according to the Massachusetts Fire Marshal’s office.

Several fire departments responded to Cannan Fuels at the intersection of Hope and Pratt Streets Wednesday afternoon.

Mansfield Fire Chief Neal Boldrighini told Eyewitness News the employee was flown by medical helicopter to a Boston hospital and his injuries are considered life-threatening.

Emergency crews shut down nearby roads for several hours as they worked to contain the fire.

The current condition of the employee is unknown at this time.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Providence

Download Mobile Apps from WPRI 12
DOWNLOAD APPS NOW: Apple App Store | Google Play Store
PINPOINT WEATHER // Quick Links:

Sky Drone 12

More Sky Drone 12

Don't Miss

Community Events & Happenings

More Community
Live Cams on WPRI.com