ATTLEBORO, Mass. (WPRI) — Crews responded to a report of a hazmat incident in Attleboro on Wednesday morning.
Attleboro’s fire chief said crews worked to contain an ammonia leak at Marathon Company on O’Neil Boulevard.
Two employees are being evaluated out of an abundance of caution after they were briefly exposed to the gas.
An employee was in the building and discovered the leak around 7 a.m.
The incident caused streets to be closed down from Maple Street to Pearl Street.
A deputy chief on scene said eight to 10 homes were evacuated along Pearl Street in response to the leak.
The chief said the leak was caused by a mechanical failure to a valve.
Deputy Chief: Leak was caused by mechanical failure to a valve. A 500 gallon taken under intense pressure started leaking the ammonia in gas form. — Brandon Truitt (@BrandonTruittTV) June 5, 2019