PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Providence police confirm a sixth suspect has been arrested in the brutal stabbing death of 28-year-old Stephen Cabral.
Police Major David Lapatin told Eyewitness News that Antonio Fortes, 29, was arrested in Cranston. He’s facing murder and conspiracy charges and is set to be arraigned Wednesday afternoon.
Fortes was previously charged and then acquitted of murder in the 2014 shooting death of Terry Robinson at the Chad Brown housing complex in Providence.
In 2015, Fortes pleaded guilty to federal drug and weapons charges. He was sentenced to prison and released in November 2018, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
Federal court records show upon his release, Fortes was ordered to submit to GPS monitoring and was under a daily curfew from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. That order expired on May 25, 2019, according to the records. Cabral was killed a little more than a month later.
Fortes is the sixth person to be arrested in connection with Cabral’s death. Five others have already been arraigned on murder and conspiracy charges: Emery Janarelli Page, 25, Daniel Garcia, 29, Dayquon Stevens, 27, Jaquontee Reels, 24, and Sequoya Reels, 27. Police have warrants out for two additional suspects.
Investigators said a large group of people beat and stabbed Cabral to death outside Club Seven on Federal Hill on June 30.
Club Seven has been closed for the entire month of July while police investigated. They are still determining if the deadly fight started inside the nightclub.
Surveillance video from inside the club is expected to be shown at a Providence Board of Licenses meeting on Wednesday.