PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A Providence man accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl faced a judge Wednesday afternoon.
Andres Garcia, 25, is charged with second-degree sexual assault, assault with intent to commit specified felony (rape), and solicitation of a child.
The judge set bail at $20,000 with surety.
The girl told police before the attack she was on the swings at Donigian Park and then began walking on the bike path. She told officers she was alone but on the phone with a friend when a man approached her and tried to grab her.
“The victim, while being attacked, called her brother on the phone screaming for help,” police said.
She told police the man – identified as Garcia – tried to pull her into the bushes and she began to hit him with her elbow.
Police said at that point the victim’s brother arrived on the scene along with other witnesses who wrestled Garcia to the ground.
Police said when officers arrived at the area of Barstow and Cutler Streets shortly before 10:30 p.m. they found a group of people holding Garcia down.
Police said Garcia – who could not speak English – told them in Spanish that he was going to give the teen $20 in return for sex. He was then placed under arrest.
City Council President Sabina Matos represents that area of Providence and says this was an isolated incident.
“I was afraid that this type of news was going to have residents think twice about letting their kids go to the park,” Matos said.
- Fresh off bye week, Patriots and Eagles set to face off in Philly
- Make-A-Wish Mass. and RI hosts ‘Evening of Wishes’
- Crews battle house fire in Central Falls
- Weather Now: Cool Today; Rain/Wind Storm Arrives Tonight
- NEARI: Mental health a critical issue in our schools
- A Massachusetts school committee votes to offer free contraceptives across district
- Alleged gunman, 4 others charged in football game shooting
- Middletown police investigating deadly DUI
- California school shooter dies with motive a mystery
- Target 12: Investigating Antique Plates