PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A Providence man accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl faced a judge Wednesday afternoon.
Andres Garcia, 25, is charged with second-degree sexual assault, assault with intent to commit specified felony (rape), and solicitation of a child.
The judge set bail at $20,000 with surety.
The girl told police before the attack she was on the swings at Donigian Park and then began walking on the bike path. She told officers she was alone but on the phone with a friend when a man approached her and tried to grab her.
“The victim, while being attacked, called her brother on the phone screaming for help,” police said.
She told police the man – identified as Garcia – tried to pull her into the bushes and she began to hit him with her elbow.
Police said at that point the victim’s brother arrived on the scene along with other witnesses who wrestled Garcia to the ground.
Police said when officers arrived at the area of Barstow and Cutler Streets shortly before 10:30 p.m. they found a group of people holding Garcia down.
Police said Garcia – who could not speak English – told them in Spanish that he was going to give the teen $20 in return for sex. He was then placed under arrest.
City Council President Sabina Matos represents that area of Providence and says this was an isolated incident.
“I was afraid that this type of news was going to have residents think twice about letting their kids go to the park,” Matos said.
- Promising autumn ahead for Southern New England
- Hazmat response to Bourne Mill in Tiverton
- 10th Annual Race for Matt and Grace held on Saturday
- Silver Alert canceled after missing Central Falls man found
- Rep. Joe Kennedy formally announces US Senate campaign
- Weather Now: Beautiful Weather All Weekend
- Friday Night Blitz 9/20
- Motorcyclist killed in Woonsocket crash
- Ceremony honors arrival of moving Vietnam War memorial in Newport
- Revelers reach gates of Area 51 then peacefully rejoin party