PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Providence police are actively investigating the city’s 23rd homicide of the year after a man was shot and killed Saturday night.

Maj. David Lapatin told 12 News the victim, a 33-year-old man, was shot multiple times on Huxley Avenue and was rushed to Rhode Island Hospital where he later died.

No weapon was found at the scene, but police located several shell casings, according to Lapatin.

“Last night, Providence experienced a senseless act of violence. My heart is breaking for the victim, their family, and our community as a whole. Tragedies like this shake our community and our city, and I know that these crimes do not represent who we are here in Providence,” Mayor Jorge Elorza said in a statement.

“The availability of guns and the amount of firepower on our streets is simply unacceptable. As Mayor, I understand that our community needs and deserves to feel safe, and I will continue to do everything I can to work with our partners and leaders to address the causes of violence in our city,” he continued.

Local leaders like Councilwoman Jo-Ann Ryan say police need all the resources they can get.

“I am working with police and city departments. A full investigation is underway. We need to keep our neighborhoods safe,” she said. “I have led the effort on the City Council to strengthen our police force through recruitment and training. We need more officers on the streets.”

Providence College President Fr. Kenneth Sicard released a statement after the shooting took place nearby the college campus.

“Unfortunately, the city has seen more than its share of violent crime this year. Much of it seems to involve individuals who were targeted directly. Our understanding is that the shooting on Huxley Ave. did not involve our students in any way. Nonetheless, the fact that it happened in relative proximity to our campus is concerning,” he said.

Providence College is in daily communication with Providence Police regarding the safety of the neighborhoods around the college’s campus, Sicard added.

At this time it’s unclear what led up to the shooting and no arrests have been made.