Providence

Candle may be to blame for East Providence fire

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A family is supporting one another after a fire broke out at a home Friday morning.

The fire started just after 7 a.m. on Sheridan Avenue, which is in the Rumford section of town, and was knocked down in 10 to 15 minutes.

According to one of the residents, Kevin Borges, the fire started from a candle on a windowsill in one of the bedrooms.

Along with Borges, his mother, sister, and three kids were in the home when the fire started.

"I heard the kids yelling 'smoke' and kind of panicking and that's when I ran upstairs because I knew something was wrong, and from down the hall I saw some little amount of flames," said Borges. "They were trying to throw water on it."

Borges said the home belonged to his family for 28 years. He was planning on selling a lot of belongings in his family home to make money for his family after their father passed away, but the fire cost him thousands of dollars in collectibles.

"I don't even know the estimated value but I've been collecting years so it's all very expensive things and they're all in water right now," said Borges.

Now, Borges and his family are staying at a family member's home that is on the same street.

There were no injuries reported.


More Stories

Meet the Team

Don't Miss