Crews respond to hazmat at Providence Post Office

Providence

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A battery issue forced people to evacuate the main post office in Providence on Sunday morning.

Hazmat crews responded to the Corliss Street building around 9:30 a.m.

Fire officials said two people were exposed to hydrogen gas from a faulty forklift battery.

Crews quickly turned off the power and ventilated the area.

The fire department said one person refused treatment and the other was transported to Miriam Hospital as a precaution.

The U.S. Postal Service is investigating what went wrong. They said the incident did not impact mail service.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Providence

Download Mobile Apps from WPRI 12
DOWNLOAD APPS NOW: Apple App Store | Google Play Store
PINPOINT WEATHER // Quick Links:

Your Local Election HQ

Dan Yorke State of Mind: Dan's Daily Update

DYSOM 2/19/21: Richard Arenberg and Joseph Cammarano

More Dan Yorke State of Mind

Don't Miss

Viewer Pa on WPRI.com

LIVE CAMS on WPRI.com

More Live Cams

Community Events & Happenings

More Community