Watch 12 Video on WPRI.com

Fire marshal: Grill to blame for Johnston fire

Northwest

JOHNSTON, R.I. (WPRI) — A fire that displaced several people including three children Thursday night was caused by improperly discarded charcoal from a grill.

Officials said the fire was burning on the rear exterior of the home when crews arrived at 886 Greenville Ave. around 11:20 p.m.

The Johnston fire marshal told Eyewitness News the hot coals caused the latticework on the side of deck to catch fire, and the flames quickly spread to the siding on the back of the house.

Video Now: Aftermath of Johnston Fire

Johnston Fire Chief Peter Lamb said seven people were inside the home at the time and the Red Cross was called for “at least three adults and three children.” Lamb said he was not sure if all seven people live at the residence.

The fire extended inside the home and to the attic, according to Lamb.

Officials say the mutual aid “tanker task force” was called from surrounding communities as the area does not have fire hydrants.

Lamb deemed the home “uninhabitable.”

Some of the firefighters on scene had to be hydrated as a precaution because the humidity level was high, according to Lamb.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Providence

Download Mobile Apps from WPRI 12
DOWNLOAD APPS NOW: Apple App Store | Google Play Store
PINPOINT WEATHER // Quick Links:

Sky Drone 12

More Sky Drone 12

Don't Miss

Community Events & Happenings

More Community

Live Cams on WPRI.com