Explosion during propane delivery sends 1 to hospital, damages Scituate home


SCITUATE, R.I. (WPRI) — A propane delivery driver is recovering from serious burns suffered in an explosion Wednesday at a home in Scituate.

According to Scituate police, the 52-year-old man was making a scheduled delivery around 1:30 p.m. when a valve on the propane tank started leaking.

He tried to repair the leak, police said, and something sparked a flame, causing the explosion and the home to catch fire.

“We arrived to find heavy fire on the outside of the building that extended into the roof,” North Scituate Fire Chief Adam Hebert said. “At that point, we called out companies that responded and put the fire out.”

The homeowners were safely evacuated and the delivery driver was taken to the hospital for treatment.

Hebert said it was a difficult fire to manage, but crews were able to knock down the flames within a few hours.

Two people were displaced due to the extent of the damage to the home, according to Hebert.

The state fire marshal’s office responded to investigate the fire, while Rhode Island State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement was also called in to assess the propane truck.

Nandini Sankara, a spokesperson for New Jersey-based Suburban Propane, released the following statement to 12 News:

“At Suburban Propane, the safety and security of our employees, customers and local communities is our utmost priority. We are fully cooperating with the local authorities on this matter, and are unable to comment further at this time due to the ongoing investigation. Our valued team member was taken to the local hospital for observation. We are sending him our best wishes for a speedy recovery.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.



Dan Yorke State of Mind

DYSOM 9/17/2021: RI DLT Director Matt Weldon

More Dan Yorke State of Mind

Don't Miss


More Live Cams
Viewer Pa on WPRI.com

Community Events & Happenings

More Community