Amid grief and sorrow, law enforcement and community members stood together in a vigil Saturday night to honor Yarmouth K9 Officer Sean Gannon.

Officer Gannon’s cruiser was still lit up, covered in flowers, notes and balloons placed there by friends, family and strangers.

Gannon, 32, was shot while he and other officers were serving a warrant at a home Blueberry Lane in Barnstable Thursday.  He was transported to Cape Cod Hospital, where he later died.

Yarmouth Police Chief Frank Frederickson addressed Saturday’s crowd and reflected on the life of the young officer taken too soon.

“Sean was one of my kids,” Chief Frederickson said.

At times, he spoke directly to Gannon’s family.

“Mr. and Mrs. Gannon, your son was remarkable,” Chief Frederickson said. “Please be extremely proud in his short life he made so many people better.”

Throughout the vigil Officer Gannon was described as a giver and someone was always answered the call.  

Among the crowd of hundreds were several of Gannon’s fellow officers from the Yarmouth Police Department, and other agencies, all still looking for answers.

“It’s just very difficult to find the right words.  There are no right words,” said Tracy Post of Yarmouth.

Under the black and blue striped flag flying outside the police department, the community was called on to help support Gannon’s family.

Chief Frederickson told them their son and brother is a life saver.

“It’s hard to measure what we prevent, but I guarantee your Sean saved somebody’s life,” Frederickson said.

Chief Frederickson also gave an emotional plea during his remarks calling for better measures of protection for police officers.

Next week, thousands of mourners, including fellow police officers and first responders are expected to pay their final respects to officer Gannon.

The wake for Gannon is scheduled from 4-8 p.m. Tuesday at St. Pius X Church on Barbara Street in South Yarmouth.

A funeral mass will be held Wednesday at 11 a.m.  Burial will be private.