Local News

Fire tears through barn in Dartmouth, kills hundreds of chickens

DARTMOUTH, Mass. (WPRI) -- An early morning fire in South Dartmouth destroyed a large barn and killed hundreds of chickens.  

The family who lives on the farm at 875 Horseneck Road says they don't know exactly how much damage there is, but it's easily in the range of tens of thousands of dollars.

On Cluck and Trowel’s Farm, the barn is crucial to a lot of the work the local business does.  But now, the family’s barn, along with a brand new refrigerator that was next to it, is a giant pile of debris.

"Being a small farm this is a huge hit, we had all of our tools, equipment, I had a small walk behind tractor that’s in here," Cluck and Trowel co-founder Sarah Cogswell said.

Sarah Cogswell was getting ready for the Pawtucket farmers market Saturday morning around 5:45 a.m. when she noticed the fire. She called 911 right away but the flames were spreading too fast. She says nothing inside was saved. 
"Not a thing, in fact the first fireman on wanted to go in and get out some equipment and you couldn’t, there was no way."

Inside was meat for the market and two hundred chickens just months old, that were set to lay eggs this summer.  

"It was excruciating to just know that you could do nothing," Coggswell said.

Cogswell took several pictures as flames were still tearing through what was left of the barn. 

Now, some of the water used to put out the blaze is frozen on what was inside. 

"Cleanup is crucial, just to look out the door, i’m surprised every time i see it, it’s just heartbreaking," Coggswell said.

The organic farm has been in business for about four years. Cogswell hopes to return the space back to what it once was, and while the fire destroyed the barn, it didn't destroy her passion.

"I love farming, this is what i’m gonna do, this is how i’m gonna move forward but it just may look a little different this year," Coggswell said.

Several fre departments were at the farm helping put out the flames.  The owners tell Eyewitness News, they don't yet know the cause of the fire.

A fundraising page has been set up to help the family get back on their feet. To donate, visit gofundme.com. 
 


More Stories

Meet the Team

Don't Miss