WOONSOCKET, R.I. (WPRI) — A Portsmouth man wanted on felony assault and kidnapping charges was shot and killed by police after he reportedly hit a U.S. Marshal and a Rhode Island State Police detective with his car.

Outgoing R.I. State Police Col. James Manni said three members of the Rhode Island Violent Fugitive Task Force — the U.S. Marshal and two state police detectives — were attempting to arrest Russell DuFault, 58, in Woonsocket on Wednesday when he stepped on the gas and drove directly at them.

Manni said DuFault hit the U.S. Marshal, sending him flying onto the hood of the car. DuFault then drove forward and pinned one of the detectives between his car and an unmarked state police cruiser, according to Manni.

This prompted one of the detectives and the U.S. Marshal to open fire on DuFault. Manni wouldn’t specify which detective shot at DuFault or how many shots were fired, but he did say that DuFault was “mortally wounded.”

He was rushed to Landmark Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Manni said officers began searching for DuFault after a woman reported that he had assaulted her in the driveway of her Little Compton home.

(Story continues below video.)

The woman told detectives DuFault was her sister’s ex-boyfriend.

DuFault, according to Manni, demanded the woman give him $80,000, which he believed had been stolen from him by a member of her family.

“The victim stated that DuFault forcibly removed her from her vehicle, pointed the gun at her and threatened to kill her,” Manni explained.

Manni said DuFault let the woman go after holding her at gunpoint for a half hour.

Following the woman’s report, Manni said state police obtained an arrest warrant for DuFault.

The warrant was handed over to the task force, which typically tracks down suspects accused of violent crimes. That decision was based on DuFault’s criminal history, which Manni said includes several counts of armed robbery in Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

It was later determined that DuFault was also suspected of robbing a Pawtucket bank earlier in the week.

Manni identified the two detectives involved as Gregory Demarco and Theodore Gibbons, both of whom are 10-year veterans of the force.

(Story continues below video.)

Robert Charette, chief deputy U.S. Marshal for the District of Rhode Island, wouldn’t identify the third officer involved, but did confirm that he suffered minor injuries.

“He is banged up, but he is going to be OK,” Charette said.

Both detectives have been placed on administrative leave, according to Manni, though the one that didn’t fire his weapon will be returning relatively soon. The other detective will remain on leave pending the results of the investigation.

The Rhode Island Attorney General’s Office is investigating the incident, as they’re required to by state law.

Russell DuFault (Courtesy: Glenn DuFault)

While the incident remains under investigation, Glenn DuFault tells 12 News he’s questioning why his brother’s life ended the way it did.

“My brother was the best person you could ever meet,” Glenn said. “He was kind, sincere and he got a raw deal.”

Glenn said this all started when a safe containing $80,000 was stolen from the home of Russell’s current girlfriend.

The theft was all caught on camera, according to Glenn. He said his brother ended up in Woonsocket because he recognized one of the suspects and knew where he lived.

“He was texting his girlfriend … saying that he was sitting outside of the [suspect’s] house,” Glenn explained. “He was telling her ‘I am going to try to get your money back’ … and then this all happened.”

Glenn claims the story about Russell threatening his ex-girlfriend’s sister is completely fabricated.

While Glenn understands why his brother was perceived as a threat because of what police were told, he’s frustrated with how his brother is being portrayed. He said while his brother did have a lengthy criminal record and was struggling with a drug addiction, he was still a good man.

“I just want to get it out there that he’s not like that,” Glenn said. “I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for him and now I have to go on without him.”